Sunday 22 May 2011

Back To The Rockies

It's been just over a week since my last post so it's time for an update as promised.

I've decided not to photograph anything today so that I can try to catch up on some much needed sleep! My 4am starts over the last few days have taken their toll on me and I feel like I need a day off to relax and edit some photos.


Since arriving back in Canada last Thursday, my luck has been fluctuating quite a bit. For example, when I arrived last Thursday I was taken for a drive almost straight away. I hadn't been in the country for more than three hours when a wild lynx crossed the road ahead of us! Before it disappeared into the trees it paused and looked back at us over it's shoulder, almost as if to say 'welcome back'.

This incredible encounter was shortly followed by an hour of grizzly bear photography. We found a beautiful looking bear as we were heading home and I managed to get some great shots of him as he dug for roots in the rain. What a great start to another year in the Canadian Rockies!

However, the last few days have been tough. I've spent a lot of time out looking for bears with a friend of mine, and we've had no luck whatsoever. We even found a recently killed deer and returned to it the following morning to see if there was something feeding on it. To our surprise, the whole carcass had been eaten during the night and there was no sign of any predators anywhere nearby. The lack of bears and wolves meant that we turned out attention to photographing other animals such as deer and birds.
This paid off. Over the last few days I've taken some images that I'm really pleased with. I'm still itching to see a wolf sometime soon, but at least we made something out of a bad situation.

Here are a few of my favourites from the last week...

(click on an image to enlarge)

Grizzly bear stroll - Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
Snowy coyote - Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
Western tanager - Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada
Male grizzly bear - Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
Bighorn sheep silhouette - Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada
Black bear family - Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
Young grizzly bear - Kootenay National Park, British Columbia, Canada
Misty morning coyote - Canmore, Alberta, Canada
Cow moose chewing - Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada
Wet grizzly bear - Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
Cute western tanager - Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada
Mount Temple grizzly bear - Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
Spray Lake panorama - Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada
Misty morning - Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada
Deer silhouette - Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada

Next week it's time to start looking for a job so I don't know if I will be out shooting as much. I will try to post another update sometime next week though.


To see more of my work, don't forget to visit my website at www.toothandclawphotography.com

You can also follow me on twitter and facebook.

Facebook - Cai Priestley Photography

Twitter - Cai Priestley


All photographs are available to purchase. Please send me a message via my website if you have any questions.

Thank you for reading,

Cai

No comments:

Post a Comment